Category Archives: PPC

Parish Pastoral Council

The PPC met on 21 September.  The meeting discussed finances (there will be a briefing for the parish at the beginning of December) and buildings.  We have recently completed work on the office and installed new furniture in the church porch, and there is work to be done on the boundary wall and the presbytery stonework.  There was an update from the Partnership Development Group, and we are reviewing the Parish Pastoral Plan.  This was originally our Forward Together in Hope action plan and we have so far implemented 40 of the 86 actions.  The full minutes of the meeting are available on the website.

Who’s who on the Parish Pastoral Council

If you would like to know more about the work of the Parish Pastoral Council, or if there is anything you would like the PPC to discuss, please speak to the Chair, David Hughes, or any of the council members.

Left to right:

Helen Schofield,  Cliona Kear (Secretary),  Catherine Dyer,  Margaret Doyle (vice-chair),  Andy Doyle,  Alison Purvis,  John Marsland,  Fr. Andrew,  Margaret Harvey,  Phoebe Sowerby

Meeting of the Parish Assembly

Back in February, we agreed new guidelines for the Councils and Groups in the parish. One of those groups is the Parish Assembly.  The Assembly meetings are open to every member of the parish, and the next meeting is on Thursday 25 May at 7.30pm.  This meeting is also the parish’s AGM.

There will be an explanation of the new format, elections to the Parish Pastoral Council (PPC) and a full Finance Report, as well as updates from the parish’s groups and committees, and the latest news about Forward Together in Hope and our new area partnership.

At the meeting, we will be electing 3 new members of the PPC.  If you are interested in standing, please talk to any member of the PPC – their names are on the noticeboard at the back of church.

 

First meeting of the new PPC

The first meeting of the PPC took place on 23rd March.  Full minutes of the meeting are available here and on the noticeboard.

David Hughes was elected as Chair, Margaret Doyle as Deputy Chair and Cliona Kear as Secretary.  There will be three elected members from the Parish, who will be elected at the Assembly meeting in May. If you are interested in standing, please talk to any member of the PPC.

The meeting talked about Forward Together in Hope. Parish reps. and clergy from the 9 parishes in our area partnership will be meeting in April to share information from our parish questionnaires and start to get to know other churches.  Meanwhile, the action plan from our own questionnaire has now been turned into the parish’s pastoral plan, and the PPC agreed the actions to be taken forward with the Chaplaincy and the parish’s young people.

The Assembly meeting in May is also the AGM.  There will be an explanation of the new format, elections to the PPC and a full Finance Report, as well as updates from the parish’s groups and committees. 

Parish Pastoral Council

The first meeting of the newly constituted Parish Pastoral Council will be held on Thursday 23 March. If you have any items that you would like to have discussed by the PPC, please give them to Fr Andrew or to Margaret Doyle. Elections for members of the PPC will be held at the Parish Assembly on Thursday 25 May, to which all members of the parish are welcome to attend.

Parish Pastoral Council

The first meeting of the newly constituted Parish Pastoral Council will be held on Thursday 23 March. If you have any items that you would like to have discussed by the PPC, please give them to Fr Andrew or to Margaret Doyle. Elections for members of the PPC will be held at the Parish Assembly on Thursday 25 May.

Changes to the Parish Pastoral Council guidelines

At the Parish Pastoral Council (PPC) meeting on Thursday, 2nd February, we agreed revisions to the guidelines for the PPC itself and for the parish’s other committees and groups.

The guidelines have been updated following discussion at open meetings as part of the Forward Together in Hope process, and the changes help to clarify the responsibilities of each group and to ensure that there are plenty of opportunities for the people of the parish to get involved and to make their views heard.

The revised guidelines are attached below.

PPC Guidelines Feb 2017

If you have any questions about the guidelines, or if you’d like to know more about the background to the changes, please contact Margaret Doyle on margaretdoyle1066@sky.com or 0191 3783660.

Pastoral Council Meeting 22 October 2015

Present:  Norma Brown, Stephanie Brown, David Crookes, Margaret Davis, Andy Doyle, Margaret Doyle, fr. Benjamin Earl, Bernard Faulkner, Dominic Goodall, Margaret Harvey (taking minutes), David Hughes (Chair), Sarah Milner, John Marsland, Judy McClean, Susan Penswick, Frances Simmons, John Urquhart.

1
The meeting opened with a prayer.

2
Apologies for absence were received from Cliona Kear.

3
Minutes of the last meeting were accepted.

4
There were no matters arising.

5
There were as yet no nominations for the post of Deputy Chair.

6
The Financial Report was presented by John Marsland, who said that there was £38, 869 in our current account and £43, 603 in the deposit account. This healthy situation, however, was to be considered against the need to send £4, 500 collected for Belpahar to another charity (see below number 7e) and £1500 earmarked for chalices (see below, number 7f). Furthermore the balustrade would
require about £10,000, and work was needed for the entrance, the presbytery, and decoration, which would take about another £10,000.

We also need LED lighting for the church, which will cost about £20,000, but we are approaching the Diocese for this.

At a recent meeting the Finance Committee decided to institute a rotation system, so that members would retire in turn.

There was discussion of the Special Collections for various diocesan causes, for some of which we currently pay out of parish funds, whereas for others a special collection is held. It was agreed that we need to know more about the details of the collections and Andy Doyle agreed to do research on the question and report back, so that priorities may be agreed.

Following a suggestion made to the Forward in Hope process John Marsland will try to improve communication with the parish about finance beginning with a briefing in November.

7
Reports from sub-committees and groups.

a)
Building Committee. The report was presented by Gil Bolton. The balustrade was due to be delivered on Tuesday. The Combi boiler providing hot water and heating to the ground floor is still problematic. A contractor has identified the problem, and quoted for the repair but we are still waiting for the work to be carried out.

A formal request will be sent to the diocese to replace the church lighting with a more efficient and accessible system (see minute 6 above). The existing system is out of date, expensive to run and to maintain. Until we have diocesan approval there is little point in taking the matter further.

Susan Penswick reported that some fund-givers for the Building Project check regularly to ensure that we are opening the church as we undertook to do.

b)
On Fundraising
Fr Ben reported that at a recent meeting the former Fundraising Committee had decided that a group more focussed on organising social events would now better serve parish needs. The group will call itself the Events Group and will meet ad hoc to plan what is needed. The first meeting is to be 29 November after the 10am Mass. At that meeting the group will discuss who is to chair it and how it may be organised.

c)
Catholic Society. Dominic Goodall reported that so far the Society is doing very well. The group had been able to replace its musicians with excellent singers, the Fresher’s Fair had gone well and the first student mass (and the meal that followed) had been packed. Lauds and breakfast and Cath Soc night continue to be well attended and there is a good programme for the term.

Room for improvement might lie in attempting to become more
self-financing.

At the Forward Together in Hope discussion the members had decided that they would welcome more involvement with the wider Durham Community, and so would seek to link up with some existing local charitable work, as other student religious societies already do.

The students would also welcome more links with the parish and suggest, for instance, a joint Bible Study and prayer group.

It was suggested that John Marsland should address the students at the 6.30 Mass as well as the parish at 10am. (see number 6 above).

d)
On Churches together in Elvet and Shincliffe Andy Doyle reported that at the St Oswald’s Day celebrations in August, which had been very successful under a new format, not many Catholics had been
present.

Churches Together had decided to organise talks. The first would be on 17 November, on ‘Policing in the 21st Century’. A further talk on
‘Prison Life’, and another on ‘Cosmology’ would follow, the dates to be arranged.

Some adjustments need to be made in the distribution of Christmas cards, especially to blocks of flats.

The Rev. Shaun Swithenbank will talk to the Rev. Alan Middleton, Chair of Churches Together in Durham about the possibility of holding one service only for the whole city in the Elvet and Shincliffe cluster in Unity Week 2016.

Lent talks in 2016 will involve three Tuesday evenings, two with some clips from films on Lenten themes and then one whole film.

The Holy Island Pilgrimage in 2016 will be on 11 June

St Nicholas church is seeking members of a choir for its presentation of The Nativity in the market place.

Margaret Harvey reported that Churches Together in Durham had organised a very successful evening discussion of Laudato Si

e)
Margaret Davis reported that the Justice and Peace Group continues to meet after Sunday Mass and to collect loo rolls and biscuits. They continue in contact with the Refugee Project.

The money (£4131) collected for Belpahar will now be sent to a Cafod Hands On project for this time only.  The recipient of a further £800 has yet to be decided.

The Virtual Village Project is continuing.

Gift Aid is to be facilitated.

The Bishop has enquired about what the parishes are doing for refugees. Maryanne Fleming is the parish link for this.

A letter has been sent from local church leaders to urge the government to do more for refugees. The meeting agreed that more practical advice about what individuals can do would help.

f)
Andy Doyle spoke on Liturgy. New chalices, to replace those old and worn, would be coming before Christmas (see number 6 above).

Remembrance Sunday will be celebrated as usual.

A Carol Service jointly with the Students will be held on Wednesday 16 December.

To mark the Year of Mercy in 2016 the parish will introduce a new hymn for which Paul Inwood has won a competition.  Further ways to mark the year are being discussed,

The celebration of 800 years of the Dominican Order will need to be
further considered.

We are aiming to have some ‘taster sessions’ to allow people to sample ministries for which (we hope) they will have suggested themselves on the Parish Census.

g)
There have been no diocesan meetings to report

9)    Margaret Doyle reported on the progress of Forward Together in Hope. She has now collected most of the data and has had three open meetings as well as having talks with individuals. All the information is on the parish web-site.

A second DVD on the subject, rather long, has been sent to her, which may be borrowed.

The next meeting for the parish will be on 5 November, to sum up our strengths and weaknesses. The Diocese is particularly anxious for more involvement of young people. The parish will act upon its own findings in any case.

Margaret also sought information and opinions about the Parish Pastoral Council, presenting its guidelines (of 2002) for scrutiny. These are very out of date and need to be reviewed. It was decided to do this at a later meeting. For purposes of a questionnaire Margaret asked when the Council had begun. It was agreed that this had happened some time in the 1970s. The meeting considered that the Council performed a very useful service.

10)  There were no items from the parish Priest.

11) There was no other business.

12)  The next meeting will be on 18 February 2016.at 7.30pm in the Parish Room

The meeting ended with a prayer.

Pastoral Council Meeting 28 May 2015

Minutes of St Cuthbert’s Parish Pastoral Council Annual
General Meeting

28th May 2015

 1. The meeting opened with prayer.

Present:  fr
Ben Earl, Cliona Kear, Gil Bolton, Mary Bolton, John Marsland, Susan Penswick, Margaret
Doyle, Andy Doyle, David Hughes, Margaret Harvey, Dominic Goodall, David
Crookes, Judy McLean, Sarah Milner, Margaret Davis, Andrew Davis, Michael
Laing, fr David

2.
Apologies:
Marianne Fleming, Mandy Hamilton,
Frances Simmons, Alison Purvis

3. Minutes of
the previous meeting were accepted.

4. Matters
arising:
– None

5.
Election of Officers:
Chairman – David
Hughes – proposed by Gil Bolton and seconded by Michael Laing.  There was no nomination at this poiunt for
the position of Deputy Chairman.

6.  Financial Report:  A copy fo the Financial Report was distributed.  There is a cap pf £8,000 for Gift Aid on
small donations.  The Deposit Account
stands at £43,606 and the Current Account at £33,059 which includes £4,000 of
restricted funds which is the money raised for Belpahar.

7. Reports from sub-committees/groups:

a.             
Building committee report to St Cuthbert’s
Parish Pastoral Council

Period ending 28th May 2015

Choir loft balustrade. 

 Details for fixing the balustrade extension have been drawn up and the
architect is getting costs for the work. ongoing

 Works carried out since the last PPC.

 Making good of internal decoration around the church and presbytery
was carried out in March.

 The installation of the shower to the first floor bathroom is
complete.

 Repairs to the church roof were carried out as planned.

 A replacement boiler serving the presbytery had to be installed due to
the continual failing of the existing one.

 Proposed work.

 Porch and narthex

Next stage is to design the cupboards and obtain prices.

External decorations to church and presbytery.

 Other maintenance continues as and when required.

 Gil Bolton

Chair Building Committee.

St. Cuthbert’s Fundraising Committee

Report to PPC period ending 28th
May 2015

 

Events since the last PPC

 Update on funds raised:

 The book sale raised £544, and the auction of tables raised £50.

The total outstanding at March 2015 was £24k.

The parish has recently received a legacy of £26k, the finance
committee will decide whether or not this can be attributed to the stonework
project thereby clearing the remaining debt.

The committee has decided that now is the right time to take a break
from major fundraising initiatives. 
Some events will continue, with the main emphasis on the social aspect
of events.

Events planned:

A garden party with a barbecue is planned for 28 June.  This will now be a celebration of what the
parish has achieved in clearing the debt from such a major project.  There will be a shared table approach to
providing the food for the barbecue, although we will need to provide drinks
(in particular soft drinks as the event is during the day and more people may
be driving). The committee discussed live music –Alison choir lead will be
approach for ideas.

The Gala is on 11 July and Martin Donbavand will be starting the
provision of hot food early in the morning. 
Donations of bacon are very welcome. 
The Justice & Peace Group will be asked to decide on the
recipients of the money raised, due to the on-going problem with getting
funding to our twin parish in India.

Although the Lumiere event is confirmed for November, we are still
waiting to hear if an installation will be near the church.  If an installation is near the church we
will look at providing refreshments as the previous Lumiere was very successful.

There will be a quiz in St. Oswald’s institute in November.  Donations for a raffle are welcome.

Membership of the restoration Committee.

Prior to the meeting of 30th April the committee advertised
for new members however there were no volunteers.

Chair:

Gil has now stood down as Chair of the Committee.  He will continue as a member of the group,
and the committee thanked him for his work.

Next meeting:  1 October 2015 @
8pm.

Gil Bolton – Outgoing Chair Restoration Committee

c.  Catholic
Society:

Sunday evening Mass is very well attended.  Around 20 at Lauds.  The dinners are popular.  The Choir is taking off and there is a new
choral scholar.  Close to 60 are down for
the Lindisfarne Retreat.  There will be a
big push for new members at the next Fresher’s Fair. 

Cathsoc
Fundraising:

How to manage the Accounts?  Should families donate to Cathsoc?  Should a Grant be sought?  There are 90 Alumni on the database – is
there a rich patron amongst these?

d. Churches Together in
Elvet & Shincliffe:

 

The
group last met on 5th May.

This
year’s Pilgrimage to Holy Island will be on Saturday 20
th June.

 We
are looking to have a joint celebration of St Oswald’s Day in early August to
which all the Churches in Durham will be invited.

 A
short series of talks on Social Issues will take place in November hosted here
in St Cuthbert’s.
  We are also looking to
offer a venue and service to the whole of Durham for the Week of Prayer for
Christian Unity in 2016.

 Lent
2016 is likely to see us revisit aspects of the Passion and Art for a series of
weekly reflections.

 The
next meeting of the group will be on 22nr September here at St Cuthert’s.

    Justice and Peace Group Report 2014-15

 The group has met together three times in the past
year.
  Our aims are

  • to raise awareness of Justice and Peace issues
  • to raise money for CAFOD

We meet after Sunday Mass.  We continue to maintain links with members of
the Justice and Peace Groups at Durham Martyrs, in order to share ideas and
build up links between the groups.

 We have been very concerned about the lack of
progress in getting money raised for Belpahar to the intended recipients.
  We have given much thought to a replacement
good cause. The group would like to recommend to the Parish Pastoral Committee that
the parish ceases to support India and instead supports NEPACS and the Colombia
initiative currently supported by the Durham Martyrs Justice and Peace group. A
worker on the Colombia project, Siobhan, will be visiting Durham and give a
talk at an open evening (probably at St Joseph’s Parish room) on 7
th
July.
  We have asked Fr. Ben to
investigate the legal position over the use of the money raised but not sent to
India

 We
are continuing to build on our CAFOD virtual village.
  The young people of the parish collected very
week in Advent and raised £476.55 enough for a camel, two goats and some chirpy
chickens.
  A two dimensional model of the
virtual village was displayed in church during Lent (made by Judy MacLean).

 Miner’s Gala day raised £770 which was split between
CAFOD and the Building Fund.

 Our Fair Trade stall continues to run twice a
month. 
We
hope to re- launch the stall with additional products when the new storage
facilities and counter are in operation.

 Our annual Shared Harvest took place in September and
raised £128.77 for CAFOD.
 

 We continue to collect

  • inkjet
    cartridges which are recycled and raise money for CAFOD.
  • old and used
    stamps for St Cuthbert’s Hospice. 
  • Old spectacles
    are also collected and recycled. 

We also tried to collect second hand toys on
Prisoners’ Sunday in November, but we had a limited response to this this
year. 

 The parish contributes to the diocesan scheme to
support asylum seekers in the North East.
 
We now collect toilet rolls and biscuits.  Contributions flood in very month prompted by
a reminder in the bulletin (approximately 50 toilet rolls and 20-35 packets of
biscuits per month).

 We are also raising money to twin the parish
toilets.
  This is done through Tear Fund
and it costs £60 to twin a toilet.
  We
have so far raised £43.

 The group organised a carbon Fast in Lent where
parishioners were invited to
reflect on the need to
live more simply, reduce our ecological footprint and be in deeper harmony with
all life on God’s earth. 
 The young people of the parish collected
weekly donations for CAFOD as the government had agreed to match all
contributions made in Lent.  We raised
£414.37.

 We would like to thank everyone at St Cuthbert’s for
your wonderful support and for your prayers.

 Amanda Hampshire

May 2015

f. Liturgy & Music:

Since
the last meeting of the PPC the Liturgy & Music Group prepared for the
services for Holy Week and Easter.
  As
has been our practice for the last few years we compiled a single booklet
comprising the principal Triduum services and this seemed to be very well
received.
  The numbers of those attending
seemed to be up on 2014 and fr Ben invested in a live relay of the Easter
morning Service into the Parish Room so as to avoid the problem last year when
some people actually walked away from the Church as there was no room.
  There were some issues with the sound quality
but those who came to the Parish Room were appreciative of the initiative.

We
continue to deliberate as to how to increase the number of people on whom we
can call for the many Lay Ministeries which support our celebration of the
Mass.
  In particular, we always struggle
to encourage welcomers and ushers and in recent months a number of servers have
stepped down from active duty.
  However,
all Ministries would benefit from an increase in numbers and a “refresh” of
personnel.

Our
next meeting will be on 16
th June.

 

g.  Diocesan Meetings: 
Council of Laity – March 2015

 

Pope John 11 Award Mary
Hughes and Tony Joy

 

The John Paul 11 award
originates in Ireland and is being launched in the Diocese on 8th
October – the Papal Nuncio will attend the launch.  The Award is aimed at 16-18 year olds and
there are Gold, Silver and Bronze awards. 
Young people collect evidence of their work in Parishes (such as
reading, serving, cleaning) and social awareness and reflect on how what they
have done relates to Gospel values and what it means to be a baptized
Catholic.  The award recognizes what
young people are already doing as well as encouraging new involvement.  Their evidence will be assessed by YMT.  The award is not academic and assessors will
be helping people to present their evidence rather than marking presentations.

 

The team is currently
visiting schools to tell them about the award scheme and will be looking for a
co-ordinator in each parish and award leaders in each school and Deanery.  A handbook will be producted for
co-ordinators and a training session organized in July.  The award will be run from parishes where
young people are not in Catholic schools and the team welcomes ideas on how to
teach everyone (e.g. in very rural areas such as Northumberland).

 

Update from the Synod on Family Life – Deacon
Peter Lavery

 

More tha  750 people in the Diocese responded to the
first consultation and a report was compiled and sent to the Bishop’s
Council.  The level of discussion at the
synod is evidence that views were listened to and not watered down.

 

The next stage of
consultation is called “The Call, The Journey and the Mission”.  The first section had a very tight deadline
and was completed by the Diocesan team based on the 750 contributions received
for the earlier consultation.  There is a
questionnaire for the clergy about the pastoral response to difficult
situations and a further document with 6 questions which is for discussion in
parishes with a summary of the discussion to be returned to Peter by
mid-May.  This discussion strongly emphasizes
the celebration of marriage and the questions are predominantly positive but
Peter emphasizes that the questions are triggers for discussion and that all
views are welcome even if they do not directly answer the questions.

 

Update from the Council of Priests:

 

The Council of Priests
has discussed Forward Together in Hope and the Synod on Family Life as well as
the Diocesan budget and admissions policy in schools.  The Council is looking at how to be more
effective including reducing the number of priests attending, having more
in-depth discussions and more joint councils with the Council of Laity and the
Youth Council.

 

Forward Together in Hope – Fr Jim O’Keeffe and
Tony Sacco:

 

Since the last Council
the team has been visiting as many parishes as possible – in one weekend Fr Jim
spoke at 8 Masses.  There were events in
Hebburn and Durham for the nominated Parish representatives and a pack of
material has been made available for each parish. 

 

The next stage will be
to make a detailed questionnaire available for each parish with specific
information relating to the parish. 
Thjis will be completed by the parish and returned by the first week in
Advent.  Each parish response will be
reviewed and there may be further questions or clarifications and the
representatives from across the Diocese will be involved in a scrutiny process
throughout 2016.  There is a DVD and
Powerpoint for use in parishes and the film is also available on the website.

 

8. Forward Together in Hope:

There is a DVD on the Diocesan website. 
The 2nd phase is just beginning with a 50 page questionnaire
in three sections – A Picture of our Community under 10 headings.

Margaret Doyle will draw up a timetable and there will be handouts at
Sunday Mass for everyone.

9. 
Heritage Open Days:

10th to 13th September.  fr Ben will confirm with the Council re our
participation and which day we will open. 
Volunteers will be needed.

10. Items from the Parish Priest: All items have been covered
above.  

11. Any other business: 
fr David

There will be a presentation after Masses at the end of September on
themes of Our Lady, Spiritual Life, married couples, praying, conversation

12. Date of next meeting: 22nd
October 2015 at 7.30 p.m. in the Parish Room

13.  The meeting closed with prayer.

 

 

Pastoral Council Meeting 26th February 2015

Minutes of St Cuthbert’s Parish Pastoral Council
Meeting

26th February 2015

 1. The meeting opened with prayer.

Present:  fr
Ben Earl, Cliona Kear, Gil Bolton, John Marsland, Susan Penswick, Margaret
Doyle, Marianne Fleming, Norma Brown, David Hughes, Margaret Harvey

2.
Apologies:
Stephanie Brown, John Urquhart, Michael
Laing, David Crookes,

3. Minutes of
the previous meeting were accepted.

4. Matters
arising:
– None

5. Reports from sub-committees/groups:

a.              Building committee report to St
Cuthbert’s Parish Pastoral Council 
Period ending 26th February
2015

Choir loft balustrade. 

Details for fixing the balustrade extension have been drawn up and the
architect is getting costs for the work.

Works carried out since the last PPC.

Making good to the plaster in the porch was completed just before
Christmas and decoration is due to start week commencing 9
th
March.

The lights in the church have all been re-lamped and one faulty
fitting had to be replaced.

Trace heating has been installed in a problematic section of gutter to
prevent, in bad weather, a build-up of ice resulting in water seeping/pouring
into the church.

The installation of the shower to the first floor bathroom is almost
complete.

The ground floor kitchen has been cleaned but some areas were not
satisfactory.
  After much negotiation
the contractor returned on Tuesday 24
th February to finish the
job.

 

Proposed work.

Porch and narthex

Next stage is to design the cupboards and obtain prices.

The church roof.

The high wind over winter has taken its toll on the church roof
resulting in some repair being required (more scaffolding), work is planned
to begin on Monday 2nd March and will last about one week weather
permitting.

Decorations

There is a considerable amount of making good to decoration which as
noted above is to begin week commencing 9th March.

Other maintenance continues as and when required.

Gil Bolton

Chair Building Committee.

b.                     St. Cuthbert’s
Fundraising Committee
Report to PPC 
period ending 26th February 2015

Events since the last PPC

Durham Ghost
walk

David and Pauline Butler led two groups on this walk which took place
on Tuesday 28th October and raised £250.00.

A
quiz night
hosted by Liz and
Martin Donbavand was held on Saturday 22nd November at St Oswald’s Institute
and raised £270.00.

Parish
dinner
organised by Angela and Mike
Galloway was held on 21st January at the Seven Stars
Shincliffe.raising a total of £300.00 pounds.

Tea
towels
. Angela Galloway had tea towels
made up with designs depicting prominent features of the church.

Initial sales of towels realised £700.00

Greetings
cards
organised by fr Ben, went on
sale before Christmas and together with tea towels are on continuous sale.

Initial sales of cards raised???

Book
Sale

Andy and Margaret Doyle held a book sale on 14th February
which realised approximately £500.00.

Proposed
fund raising events,

Miners’ Gala 11th July

Summer garden party with BBQ 28th June

Christmas raffle (local businesses to be approached
for prizes) ideas please?

Hamper?

Lumier is to take place in November, if there is
an installation close to St Cuthbert’s we will serve refreshments which did
very well at the last event.

Re-naming

At the last Fund Raising Committee Meeting it was
decided that “Stonework Project” should be renamed “Restoration Fund”.  This has come about due the continual work
needing to be carried out on the church and presbytery to keep it maintained.

c.Organisation
of Fund Raising Committee.

The committee needs more people to sit on it and
help organise events particularly to promote events, sell tickets or to take
on an event attending to some or even all the detail.

Gil Bolton

Chair Fundraising Committee

d.  Catholic
Society:

In the absence of a report fr Ben said that the
Sunday evening Mass is very well attended and that the Chaplaincy Choir has
really taken off with 12-16 decent singers. 
The retreat to Ampleforth went really well.  Fr Ben is the Convenor of University
Chaplains and there is a rotating roll of 15-20 Chaplains.

e. Churches Together in
Elvet & Shincliffe:

Members
of Elvet & Shincliffe Churches were encouraged to attend the Ecumenical
Service on 15
th November at St Mary’s Cathedral marking the 50th
Anniversary of the promulgation of Vatican II’s Decree on Ecumenism (
Unitatis Redintegratio)

St
Cuthbert’s hosted a Prayer Breakfast during the Week of Prayer for Christian
Unity on behalf of Durham Churches Together. 
On the same day, though in the evening, Elvet & Shincliffe held a
service at St Oswald’s which included a short presentation from each church on
what they treasure in their own tradition.

We
are looking to host a short series of Lenten evenings but are encountering
problems – please look out for details.

This
year’s pilgrimage to Holy Island will be on Saturday 20th June.

 

f.            Justice and Peace
Committee Report

 

We
are continuing to collect toilet rolls and biscuits for Failed Asylum Seekers
on the first Sunday of the month. We’ve asked Ciara to put a reminder in the
bulletin in advance.

 

Concerns
continue about the lack of progress in getting money that we raised for
Belpahar actually to the intended recipients. 
It was suggested that alternatives be sought with the funds raised
divided between a local and an international charity. We were going to look
into the Colombia project supported by the Durham Martyrs Parish and perhaps a
prison charity.

 

The
Shared Harvest raised £128.77 for CAFOD.

 

Twinned
Toilets:  Posters and collection boxes
have been placed in each toilet.

 

The
collection of Toys for Prison Visitors was very sparse this year and so it was
felt that we need to increase the publicity next year. 

 

 

The
Advent collection in aid of CAFOD:  the
young people raised £476.55 (a camel, 2 goats and some chickens for the virtual
farm). A semi-permanent display about what had been achieved was produced by
Judy McLean and can be seen during Lent in the narthex.

 

In
addition to Lenten Family Fast Day, we decided to embark on a parish ‘Carbon
Fast’ for Lent 2015. A sheet was produced and a notice of the weekly target
will be in the bulletin each week.

The
young people were asked to do the bucket collection again and proceeds will go
towards wood-saving stoves and a greenhouse for the virtual village.

g. Liturgy & Music:

The
Liturgy & Music Group has met twice since the last PPC.

In
response to some of the issues arising from the re-timing of the Carol Service
since the advent of the year-round evening Mass, we sounded the parish out and
transferred the service to a Friday evening. 
Numbers were up but it was notable that some who we would expect to see
did not attend.  We will be evaluating
this further.  We also continue to review
the Christmas Mass times but made no amendment in 2014.

At
the 10am Mass during Advent, we prepared a composite music sheet so as to
reduce the number of separate pieces of paper which the congregation can
sometimes have to handle.  This seemed to
work well and has been repeated for Lent.

As
has been mentioned in the bulletin, the weekday recitation of the Responsorial
Psalm at Mass has been reviewed.  It has
long been the custom here at St Cuthberts for all to say the psalm together.  This is not a common practice and can lead to
issues where people cannot see a Missal. 
As such, we have now moved to the more widespread practice of repeating
a response after each verse.

The
Liturgy & Music Group has arranged a series of Stations of the Cross
services, immediately following Vespers on the Friday evenings of Lent.

Services
for Holy Week and Easter are in hand.  As
usual, we wish to emphasis the unity of the Triduum services and we are pleased
that there shall be a baptism at the Easter Vigil.

We
continue to deliberate as to how to increase the number of people on whom we
can call for the many lay ministries which support our celebration of
Mass. 

 

h.  Diocesan Meetings:

 

There have not been any meetings since the last PPC
meeting.”Forward in Hope” to next Council of Laity meeting in three weeks time.
Margaret Doyle is only on “The Council of Laity” now. 

 

6. Financial
Report
: Deposit Account £22,400. Current Account £30,073.  The Diocese has put a moratorium on spending
so the lights cannot be done i.e. a new system. 
There is still the need to raise £25,000.  On the Quinquennial Report the stonework to
the Presbytery needs to be done which will be in the region of £40,000 and the
lighting £15,000.

7:   Parish
Retreats and Study Days – fr David

In fr David’s absence the following dates were announced:

Parish Retreat Day is 25th April – fr John Farrell

Study Day is 30th May – fr David Sanders from Blackfriars,
Oxford.

8.  Forward Together in Hope – fr Ben

Whilst Michael Laing is unavailable Margaret Doyle is the contact for the
Parish. There is an update on the Diocesan Website which is:
www.hope.rcdhn.org.uk or contact 0191 243 3304.

9. Items from the Parish Priest: All items have been covered
above.  

10. Any other business: 
There was a question re the Church heating – why has it seemed to be
colder this winter?  Fr Ben said that
under Health and Safety regulations the door between the porch and the Narthex
does have to be left open. 

11. Date of next meeting: 28th
May 2015 at 7.30 p.m. in the Parish Room

12.  The meeting closed with prayer